A Helpful Hand

On May 11, 2000 at 11:35pm a little girl was born to a woman by the name of Armandena out of wedlock. Armandena held her newborn baby with love and fear for the future. She went over the plan that she so often rehearsed in her mind of how she carried this child for 9 months, but this baby was not hers. This baby was to be given to another family. She was only 19 when she became pregnant and only 17 when she joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was the only member of her family. Imagine the emotions this woman was feeling. How much harder would it have been if people treated her poorly? 

In John 8: 4-12 it speaks about the woman who committed adultery and was taken to Jesus Christ. “They say unto him, Master, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?...He lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her...when jesus lifted up himself and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman where those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

This gospel is based on the foundation of love. God gave us two great commandments. The first being to love Him with all our heart, mind, and strength. The second to love our neighbors. Although these 9 months were a whirlwind of emotions for Armandena, she did not travel this journey alone. Her YSA ward rallied around her showing her love and compassion. One of her Relief Society sisters took her in as her roommate and helped her navigate what she was going to do. Her elders quorum gave her many, many priesthood blessings. The bishop directed her to family services. As Heavenly Father never left her side, neither did her ward family. 

We were not called to judge people based on their circumstance as different as it might be to yours; small or big. We are all guilty of it. But we are called to put those feelings aside and to love fully. Sometimes, love is inconvenient. 

Michelle Craig shared her experience at a BYU devotional. “While I was trying to tidy the kitchen, my seven-year-old approached me and asked if I would walk down to our basement to help him find a particular toy. My first thought . . . was, “I just want to get the kitchen cleaned and kids to bed without interruption.” He again asked if I would help him. . . .I then remembered the following from talk in conference: “When prompted, we can leave dishes in the sink or an in-box full of challenges demanding attention in order to read to a child, visit with a friend, babysit a neighbor’s children, or serve in the temple [my insert: or help your child find a toy]. . . . [We can] see people not as interruptions but as the purpose of [our] life.” I looked at my son, who was looking up at me, and I looked at my sink full of dishes and countertops littered with clutter, and I said out loud, “Dishes, you have to wait.” As he and I proceeded to walk down our stairs to the basement, my son, Andrew, said, “Mom, you love me more than dishes, huh?” To which I responded an unequivocal “Yes!” . . .Then, this morning, while helping him finish his homework for school, I said, “Andrew, I love you.” He responded with, “Yup, you love me more than dishes.”

Although most of us don’t have children, I believe dishes is an interchangeable word. I love you more than my phone. I love you more than sleep. I love you more than our differences. You decide. I know, however, we will be blessed for the love we share with others. 

Many of you are putting forth efforts to help others on a regular basis. And if you’re anything like me - you’re continually questioning if you’re doing enough. Sisters and brothers, you’re doing great. Nelson Mandela was often quoted for saying, “I am no saint - that is, unless you think a saint is a sinner who keeps on trying.” There is much truth in this. God cares a lot more about who we are and who we are becoming than who we once were. He cares more about if we keep trying. 

My friend Sister Hansen serves in the Montana Billings Mission and recently in one of her emails she wrote, “I'm here to invite others to come unto Christ and to teach them the PROPER way to do so. I'm here to teach. I'm here to share my testimony. I’m here to invite. It says my purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement repentance baptism the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. If all I can do is smile at someone before they slam the door in my face, my purpose of inviting others to come unto Christ is fulfilled.” 

Christ doesn’t expect us to have it all down right away. He expects us to fail and to get back up and try again. Service can be difficult, but even a smile can go a long way. 

Heavenly Father loves you. Consistently in the scriptures we see Heavenly Father trusting His youngest servants to fulfill His work. My favorite example of this has always been Joseph Smith. He was only 14 when he received his first vision. A lil farm boy with lil education - God trusted. Likewise, Heavenly Father trusts us to be His hands on the earth this day. He has saved us for this time to LOVE His people and sometimes in that process, we forget that loving His people also means loving ourselves. God has given us specific circumstances and life experiences custom to who we are and what he desires for us to become. We are all going through our own life lessons and trials. Everyone is fighting their own personal battle. 

It’s okay to struggle. The best of us struggle. Jeffrey R. Holland shared his experience as a struggling college student, “On a spot that I could probably still mark for you today, I turned to Pat and said something like this: “Honey, should we give up? I can get a good job and carve out a good living for us. I can do some things. I’ll be okay without a degree. Should we stop trying to tackle what right now seems so difficult to face?” In my best reenactment of Lot’s wife, I said, in effect, “Let’s go back. Let’s go home. The future holds nothing for us. Then my beloved little bride did what she has done for 45 years since then. She grabbed me by the lapels and said, “We are not going back. We are not going home. The future holds everything for us.” I know we can find happiness in these hard and good times. Joy has little to do with our circumstances and everything to do with the focus of our lives. Don’t give up now. 

God has given you and I gifts to help us in these hard times and to help His people. I used to think that saying I had talents and gifts was another way of me being prideful, but this is far from the truth. 

D&C 46: 7-12 says, “7 But ye are commanded in all things to aask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all bholiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, cconsidering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and dthanksgiving, that ye may not be eseduced by evil fspirits, or doctrines of devils, or the gcommandments of men; for some are of men, and others of devils.
8 Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived aseek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;
9 For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a asign that they may bconsume it upon their lusts.
10 And again, verily I say unto you, I would that ye should always remember, and always retain in your aminds what those bgifts are, that are given unto the church.
11 For all have not every agift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.
12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.”

To go back to my first story, Armandena, because of the love shown to her (no matter how simple it was) is still an active member of the church and was able to get married in the temple. She had five kids following her first pregnancy. Those kids are the loves of my life. This story belongs to my birth mother. Her story strengthens me in the purpose of this gospel. God gives us different gifts to build up His people! The sister who brought her in has the gift of compassion. The elders the gift of the priesthood. The bishop the gift of wisdom. Similarly, you have gifts that can be used to do god in someone’s life - maybe your own - but don’t hide those gifts under a bushel. Use those gifts to love. We were called to love; this church has no room for judgement! L-O-V-E. That is the key. Cast no stones. 

In a couple months, I will be set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am serving because I know the atonement works. I have seen it in my own life and the lives of others.

Comments

Popular Posts