Why I Deleted my Snapchat and Twitter

Welp. I think the title says it all.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have deleted 2/4 of my social media this weekend. It was hard to come to this decision, but I think the longevity will bring me great peace and happiness.

Throughout the past, couple months- I found I have relied more on Snapchat than usual. Before those months, I found I had an addiction to Instagram. I deleted Instagram off my phone, so it was just in due time that my addiction traveled to a different app. When I started spending more time on a ghost and bird app rather than doing things that could be productive and benefit me- that's when I knew it was time to do something.

And poof- @haileydeeds was deactivated.

Social media has great, lasting effects don't get me wrong. You're talking to a future Public Relations major- I get the perks. And I still have social media, such as Facebook and Instagram, but Snapchat had a different effect on me personally.

I worried about keeping streaks, sending a picture a day and saying, "Well I talked to that person! I feel like I know them a whole lot better now just from that selfie they just sent me," not looking at certain people's stories, and developing lasting friends over a bitmoji friendzy.

This is not a way to live- at least for me. And to be honest, this was actually preventing me from deleting my social media... what if I lose the friendships I made? What if we don't stay friends? And ladies and gentlemen, I'll be blunt- if you need an app to stay friends with someone, they probably weren't a good friend to begin with and were probably the type to just send "streaks." Is that what you want in a friendship? I don't.

I believe by deleting part of my social media, I will put forth a better effort to maintain the relationships that I want to maintain. Heck, I might even Facetime some people randomly just to catch up with them. I want to have face-to-face interaction with someone and hear their voice and listen to their mood as they speak. I want friendships that last without the anxiety of not being on their best friends list and not snapchatting back within the 24 hours needed to keep a streak. I want to make friends and use my time on this planet wisely- maybe crack open a book, write more, sing a song, take a walk- who knows?! The options are endless.

Instagram and Facebook will still play a big part of communication and networking and with it, I still plan to use it to spread my love for the gospel and others. However, I'm excited to disconnect for a while and reconnect with people in a new, "old-fashion" way. :)




Comments

Popular Posts