Week 5: Paris (Intercultural Learning)
During my time in Paris, I had the opportunity to meet my cousin Aylie. She is from France and she is the daughter to my biological dad's tata (aunt). Aylie and I have talked over social media before, but the act of meeting was a big step up. She was nervous to meet me as she was worried her English wasn't good. I too was nervous because I didn't no any French. When we finally met, I realized my worries were just a form of my anxiety-- she was one of the sweetest people I had ever met. She insisted on paying for lunch and groceries to show her love. Matthew and I kept asking her how to say certain phrases and how we could pronounce words better. She appreciated the fact we were trying, but even more the fact that she could learn some more English. She said that the younger generation wants to learn English because they consider it beautiful. It was fascinating to learn that French had many words that didn't translate into English or vice versa.
Interestingly enough, I met two girls the next day whose mom works at the hotel we were staying at. They too knew English and wanted to practice. They said they preferred the American accent to the British one as it was easier for them to understand.
The same two girls were the ones who taught me about how difficult the school system is in France. Once you enter your senior year of high school, you have to take a test that quizzes you on your language, math, science, etc. It sounded similar to an ACT, but much harder and difficult. They explain that it determines what colleges you can get into. Once you're in college, you have to take another test after your freshmen year and it determines if you will stay in the program you are in. The two girls wanted to be doctors. They said they were nervous for college because of the tests and needed perfectionism.
My cousin Aylie just finished schooling to be a nurse as she continues to go to acting school. She wants to make it "big!"
The most interesting part of meeting my cousin was talking about the different slang that the French have compared to Americans. I tried to explain terms like "Chad" and "Karen" to her. She told me about a phrase called "Wesh" that the younger generation of French use as a greeting or at the end of a sentence. It would not be respectful to say to someone older, but to someone who is a younger adult. Matthew used it on a group of young men and they thought it was very funny. Although baguettes are delicious, Aylie also thought it was funny that we liked "cliches."
I really valued from learning from my cousin and the two girls from the hotel. It made me realize the importance of learning about someone's culture and to listen to them. I think a lot of the time we tend to like the sound of our own voice. But when it comes to intercultural studies, we have to be willing to listen and really listen. It makes me want to take learning French more seriously, so one day I can learn more from my friends and family.

Comments
Post a Comment