Week 4: France

We are now four weeks and have reached our second to last destination: France! Europe in general is quite different than the United States, and although France is neighboring Italy-- they too are quite different from each other. Culture shock has been real in many ways. I think the largest culture shock I have experienced is the difference is products, language, and family. Things like Dr. Pepper, Lemonade, AC are hard finds or not the same here. They are items that I just thought that every place had, but I have found that they are considered "American" products. The language itself is hard as I struggle to roll my R's when it comes to Spanish, but French the R's are from the throat. People here are kind about speaking in english normally, but they do prefer you try to speak in French first. I felt like Italian was easier to learn than French, but I still try. One waitress helped me speak French to her after I had a failed attempt, which was very helpful. 

Although I don't speak French, France has a special place in my heart. France is home to many members of my biological family. People don't think about it a ton, but even entering a new group of people can bring culture shock. You have to learn their ways of life and mesh yourself to fit or make them comfortable. Meeting my biological family in France has been amazing. However, I have had culture shock in some sense when it comes to learning about them.

Adjusting would normally come with some growing pains. However, it has truly been a blessing having my husband visit me while I am in France. He brings me a sense of peace and comfort having him around. It has been hard to adjust to him not being there all the time since being on my study abroad. As soon as I saw him, I cried-- all happy tears. He makes adjusting easy. He helps me learn the language and understand how things work. My biological family has also helped me do the same. Family is so important and that is what France has taught me. 

International students who come to the United States might experience culture shock in many ways. They don't have their family there to help them, they don't have what is familiar to them. It makes me want to be a helping hand in their life to help them adjust. It must not be easy and they must get homesick too. Going to a place that is unfamiliar to you can be excited and nerve-wracking. I hope I can make someone's transition easier. 

Comments

Popular Posts