Far Superior Outcome: Florida
90 degree weather. Scattered rain fall. People driving 70 mph on a 45 speed limit. A melting pot of culture. And...lots of tourists. This is the proper way I would describe Orlando, Florida.
Yep folks, I live in Florida! (I think it's going to become a new game...how many States can I live in!)
![]() |
| My mom and I when we first got to Florida |
I moved to Orlando, Florida about two months ago and I have loved every minute of my time here. The reason I moved here is because I am participating in the Disney College Program and certainly work at Magic Kingdom as a Custodial Cast Member. I love it! (Let me explain why before you judge me.) It feels like it's going too fast!
![]() |
| Traditions |
I first found out about the Disney College Program back in high school and when my family did the Disney Cruise - I instantly fell in love with the cast members. They were from all over the world and they seemed so happy! It was more of just an idea at the time, but God led me to apply and when I got accepted, I couldn't pass up this once in a life time opportunity.
Moving here was a big step for me. This is the first time I am truly living alone. 1.) I didn't know anyone in Florida before moving here. 2.) I pay for my own food, my own rent, and my own gas. Quickly I have had to learn how to budget what I make! I live with five roommates all of which are originally from the east coast (New York, New Jersey, and North Carolina.) They make life interesting and fun; I'm always on my toes.
![]() |
| 4/5 of my roommates |
For example, one of my roommates caught a lizard and decided to name him Gerald. When she was showing me Gerald, Gerald leaped out of her hands and ran straight into our cabinet hole. We have not seen him since...haha.
In my last blog post I said, "My circle of people continues to grow and my love for them is overwhelming. I expect Disney to be no different." Expectations met! Including my five roommates, I have met so many wonderful people from all over and from all walks of life!
The first night I was here, I was overwhelmingly sad and lonely. It felt like I was on my own; I had to figure out life by myself. Through a DCP facebook group, I spoke with a girl who was LDS, Custodial, and went to school at BYU-Idaho. I would occasionally ask her questions about her experience since she moved in a couple months before me.
She invited me over that night knowing that I was having a rough time. She introduced me to her roommates and they all welcomed me into their apartment with open arms. Their names are Felicity, SK, Ava, Brooke, Maile, and Kalli. Since that night, I have been over practically every night since. Maile often says, "Hailey I forget you don't live here."
There was even one night that I got food poisoning from a potato and ended up puking the whole night at their apartment. They could have definitely kicked me out - I mean gross- but they took care of me and made sure that I was okay.
![]() |
| Maile and Felicity |
I love my coworkers as well! Like I said, I have met people from all over. Many of my coworkers are from Puerto Rico and Haiti. Every time I hear someone speak Spanish or French, I absolutely love it. It makes me wish I could learn all the languages in the world. I have learned some words here and there; mainly "No hablo espanol, pero mi amigo habla espanol. Un minuto!" but hopefully I learn more with time.
![]() |
| One of my coworkers Elly |
My language of choice has been ASL and even knowing only up to ASL 101 has been a huge help. One of my coworkers and I have conversations in ASL and she often helps me when I struggle. She has been so patient and every time I talk to her, I am able to understand more, recall signs better, and form sentences easier.
Work itself is hard work...obviously, but very rewarding. My main job is to clean bathrooms and change the trash. It sounds maybe easy, but there is a certain way to do all tasks and they must be done efficiently and properly. (I walk a wholeee ton!) The guests and my coworkers make my job truly what it is. I love socializing with guests; seeing where they're from and talking to the children.
The other day I saw a little boy dressed as a police officer. My Disney instinct kicks in...I stopped pulling my trash and saluted him. Similarly, there are so many little girls in princess costumes and whenever I can I make sure to bow and show my respects.
Living in Orlando has also been a huge test of my faith. Living at BYU was such a huge blessing in the fact that everyone would motivate each other to study the scriptures, go to church, etc. However, I have had to be my biggest motivator in Florida. So far, so good.
![]() |
| At the BYU vs USF football game! BYU lost :( |
I have made an effort in going to the temple every week and recently have became a temple worker. I love the temple workers that I work with and that I have met. They are so happy to be serving the Lord. I hope to grow closer to God as I work in the temple too.
![]() |
| Orland Florida Temple |
Another amazing blessing that Orlando has provided me is the chance to help the missionaries in my ward. The YSA missionaries have been so kind into letting me assist them in temple service and allowing me to participate in lessons.
One of my best friends Brice Schroeder serves here. It has been such a treat seeing him once or twice. Brice and I met my 2nd year of EFY in Kirtland, Ohio. We kept in contact with an occasional text, but not much more than that. We both got into BYU and we ended up being placed in the same ward after all these years of knowing each other. I often thought God did that on purpose.
Similarly, I remember when Brice was called to Orlando back at BYU and a couple days before, I told him about my decision to move here. I still wasn't sure if I was making the correct decisions but when I heard his call, I knew. God was giving me peace. Even though I don't seen him a whole ton, knowing he's here is enough to make Hailey Deeds happy.
![]() |
| Elder Schroeder |
Sorry that this is so long, but I wanted to share a piece of my life with you. For the first time in a long time, my stress and anxiety have not been a burden on me. It feels like some of it has been lifted. Florida has turned into one of the best learning experiences and has helped me grow in so many ways. I love the people here! I love my job! I know God wants me here too.
'God knew the end from the beginning (as He always does), and in this case the answer to many righteous prayers was no, in favor of a far superior outcome.'
Florida, thanks for being that far superior outcome.
![]() |
| My boss and his wife! |












Comments
Post a Comment