"Hailey, your life is so hard to keep up with."
It seems that my life has turned it to a big game of where's Hailey and many of you might be thinking the same thing. I have written this in my head multiple times, but I thought it was about time I gave a debrief of what my past four months have looked like.
 |
| HAHAHA! I crack myself up! |
To say the least, my summer didn't go as expected; a totally different vision than what actually occurred. My dad has been working in Council Bluffs, Iowa since January for a municipal airport. When it felt like nothing was going as planned, he suggested that I work with him. I was horrified that he'd even suggest that I LIVE in Iowa AND then it dawned on me...MY DAD WOULD BE MY BOSS. I was not having it.
I don't know how he changed my mind, but my heart softened and as soon as we knew it, I was working the SAME front desk of the SAME airport as my father....oh boy.
Contrary to popular belief, we only fought a lot. Haha, I'm kidding. We really didn't argue a whole ton. If anything, it felt like it brought us closer together. HOWEVER, I tried to call my dad Kelly at work and dad at home, but I accidentally mixed the two and would call my dad Kelly at home. Haha, that DID make him upset.
I was a "Customer Service Representative." Fancy, I know. I helped customers check in and out, made a ton of invoices, and tried to give customers the best experience!
 |
| Students from the flight school at the airport I worked at. |
 |
| A sunset I captured in the air from my dad's airplane. |
Most of the Deeds family lives in Iowa too, so I spent a bit of time bouncing between Aunts and Uncles and Grandparents' houses until I would have to start the cycle all over again. My weekly schedule consisted of working two jobs (movie theater and airport), institute class, and going to the temple. On the weekends, my dad and I would always try to fly back to Kansas City.
This summer I gained a new obsession. I love genealogy. I believe that when I do it - I am able to understand myself better. When I learn their story, I am able to know my story. 'When we research our own lines, we become interested in more than just names. Our interest turns our hearts to our fathers - we seek to find, know, and serve them." (Boyd K. Packer) For the same reason, I love going to institute and the temple. When I participate in these activities, I am able to feel closer to my ancestors and understand what great sacrifice they made for me to be there....in Iowa.
"And he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers. If it were not so, the whole earth would be utterly wasted at his coming."
 |
| Hareid family at my grandparent's farm auction |
 |
| Deeds family at the temple together! Families can be together forever. |
Even so, I have loved listening to my grandparents' stories. My great grandmother is 99. Her stories date back all the way to 1920. I could listen to her talk for hours.
 |
| My Great Grandma Hanson:) |
 |
| Cousin Love |
Some of my ancestors have been hard to find (especially the ones from Laos), but on occasion - I have the opportunity to bump into people who share a love for that culture and will share all they know about it. I have made new friends and family that way.
 |
Raff was one of the first missionaries in Laos and was kind
enough to teach me more about my culture. |
 |
| My cute, Lao friend I made at BYU. We met up twice in Minnesota. |
The hardest part of this summer has been watching my friends go one by one as they leave for their missions and MARRIAGES. Recently, I compared it to a basketball game. You are with your teammates all practicing for the same game - same practice and same drills. Then the game is about to start and you all head towards the bench. Your coach starts putting people in and you are still sitting on the bench waiting for your turn. You continue stretching and strategizing, but sometimes it's hard to feel confident about being on the sidelines. Your coach gives you encouragement and tells you that you aren't bad, but you just have to wait your turn. Your job at that very moment is to cheer on your teammates who are already playing the game. You're also too focused on the game to realize that there is a whole group of people actually waiting to play the game too. They know exactly what you are feeling.
 |
| My best friends Lauren got married! It called for a trip to Utah. |
 |
| My best friends Elisabeth and Caleb did too! |
Figuring out where my self worth comes from has been a big scavenger hunt. It's hard to understand that our worth doesn't come from the amount of good we do, but from the entire fact that we are child of God. That is all. That is all it takes. Even if we choose not to accept it, our worth comes from our Father. The worth of every soul is great in the eyes of God.
 |
| My best friend Matt is about start his mission in Guatemala! This is from my trip to Washington! |
I am so happy for all my friends who get the chance to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ on their own missions. I believe in them and their abilities. I believe I am on my own mission and journey. It might not fit the mold of how people serve missions - but I find great joy in what I do. (Another huge reason why family history is so important to me.)
In case you haven't kept up with the gram, facebook, snapchat, and every other form of social media (first off why do you even follow me then SMHHHH? jk !) I am heading down to Orlando, Florida on September 7 to participate in the Disney College Program. It is a 4 month long program which will consist of career building and hands on experience in the parks! I am so thrilled (and nervous!) I know however this is where God wants me.
I truly couldn't have asked for a better, life-changing summer. I experienced and did things that I couldn't believe I did. Some, I can't explain with words but with feelings. The more I develop my relationship with God - the more He calls me to do. I am glad He trusts me to do His work. I am thankful for the gifts He has given me and the lessons/challenges I bare. My circle of people continues to grow and my love for them is overwhelming.
I expect Disney to be no different.
Comments
Post a Comment