I Was Built to Last
88 days have passed since I left Brigham Young University and I officially finished up my first year of college. There isn't many days that pass where I don't think about my walk from my dorm to the Harold B. Lee library where I'd go to the bottom floor to pick the quietest place to study. There isn't many days that I don't think about the Joseph F. Smith Building and how on the fourth floor there is a special balcony where you can overlook the entire campus. I miss the mountains and the beauty of Provo, Utah. However, I especially miss the people and the memories.
I started off the beginning of college with saying, "Honesty. It's a weird concept. We are told to be honest all the time, but yet we hide most of our feels under a mask we create for ourselves...It's a "fake it until you make it" mentality. But, you want honesty? College is nothing that I expected." But let me tell you, time goes a long way. I still believe in being honest so to the newly freshmen starting their first year of college, I think it's safe to say that you might come across some of these feelings. You might feel lonely. You might get homesick. You might fail a test. You might wish you went to a different school. YOU MIGHT. But even if you might, don't give up. You were built to last.
I made it and I grew to love it. BYU was exactly what I needed. It's not your typical school by any means, but it was my school. For example:
1. Unlike most college students' journeys, BYU freshmen have it a bit different. Where most students would go home for the summer and come back in the fall, BYU freshmen (and not all may I add) take 18 months to two years off to fully commit their attention to building up God's kingdom. It was hard leaving campus knowing that I wouldn't see my newly made friends for two years. However, they are doing a work that I hope/desire to be doing soon. I have friends in Peru, Jamaica, Orlando, Georgia, Seoul, Brazil, and many more. If you can name it, they're probably there.
The natural man might ask, "Don't they worry about what it might be like when they get back? They'll have to relearn everything." And maybe that's true. However, nothing is impossible with the Lord by your side.
![]() |
| Spencer, serving in Jamaica |
![]() |
| Bryce, serving in Hungry |
| Corinna, serving in Argentina |
2. Everyone was pitch perfect. No I mean like, everyone was like super duper talented. It was crazy. I think I know why High School Musical was filmed in Utah and it's because everyone there can sing, dance, play an instrument, and etc. It was literal Glee, 24/7. It wasn't uncommon to walk on campus and hear people just singing to themselves or in a group. There is actually a club called Tunnel singing where people meet on Sundays to literally just sing in a tunnel. I joined a Hawaiian dance group. There were tons of way to get involved within the arts.
3. Hold my root beer. Fun fact actually, BYU got voted the most sober school 21 years in a row. BYU actually made a milk for it. Most of our parties consisted of board and card games. I think the word board is misleading because it was far from boring.
4. Nature is neat. Missouri is beautiful - don't get me wrong. But Utah is beautiful-er. Try telling me I'm wrong after YOU see the mountains that face the front of campus. Some of my favorite memories revolve around climbing/hiking the local trails and traveling to Zion National Park. It's a goal of mine when I get back to hike all the major National Parks in Utah.
| from my trip to St. George |
5. Love of Christ. This was the most important part and the deciding factor of why I went to school at Brigham Young University. Even when it was hard to live my faith, there was always people there willing to help. People openly loved and ministered to one another. Strangers where willing to help strangers and neighbors, neighbors. There was times where I was really struggling and I had friends willing to drop everything in a blink of an eye to help me. There was a time where I had to move rooms and everyone pitched in to help. It was a beautiful and eye opening thing to see how many people cared.
| Mint explosion |
| My roommate Camilla and I on our first adventure |
I found my place at BYU. I found what made it special. I am thankful everyday for the experiences I had and will continue to have within the BYU community. I was able to really get involved within my classes and friends. I don't know where I'd be if I chose to be pessimistic about the transition from home to college.
I said in my last blog, "This is me telling you the honest truth. It's okay to be sad and miss home. Change is scary. But, it will get better. You will find your people. They will make you happy and they will keep you up late. And sometimes, you'll be mad about it, but mostly you'll just feel lucky that you have people that will laugh with you. Find those people." These words ring true. I found people and good people, more importantly. The feelings of wanting to go home vanished. I didn't desire to buy a plane ticket. I soon found I was calling my dorm 'home.' Home isn't a place, but a feeling attached to a place. BYU has become my home away from home.
I miss it. I want to go back. But, the most important lesson that I learned at BYU was to trust in the Lord. Not fake trust where you create another plan just in case His plan fails, but to actually trust in Him. Even though I don't know the future, I know Heavenly Father desires only the best for all of us. So, I'm continuing on the path He's leading me down. There's times where I fall and scrape my knee, but I always get back up (sometimes slower than others.) You know why?
Because.
I was built to last.
BYU. The honest truth? Thank you. I miss you.







Comments
Post a Comment