An Answer to your Questions

Earlier in the school year, my friend told me he had a few questions about Mormonism. I asked if he could write down his questions, so I could form a blog post answering them. I am sure many of you have questions about the Mormon church and have either been to scared to ask or didn't know where to turn to. I'm hoping this blog helps everyone understand what I believe and what my church believes as a whole. Thank you to the friend who asked these questions, I hope this helps!

Is polygamy still a thing?
Good question and probably most asked question too.

The Bible and the Book of Mormon teach that the marriage of one man to one woman is God's standard, except at specific periods when He declares otherwise.

Joseph Smith received revelation that marriage of one man to two or more women should be instituted among members of the church in the early 1840s. For more than half a century, plural marriage was practiced by the LDS population. In 1890, the Lord inspired Church President Wilford Woodruff to issue a statement ending the practice of plural marriage.

Sometimes as members of the church, we are asked to do things we don't quite understand. One purpose God commanded it was to increase the number of children born in the gospel covenant in order to "raise up seed unto [the Lord] (Jacob 2:30.) Plural marriage did result in the birth of large number of children within LDS homes. It also helped marriages become available to virtually all who desired it; disadvantaged women married into financially stable households and ethnic intermarriages were increased. Plural marriage helped create and strengthen a sense of cohesion and group identification among LDS members.

Is Mitt Romney your favorite Politician?
I think this is a personal preference. Many Mormons like Mitt, many Mormons don't. I think it depends on your political standing. I have ran into a Romney before and that was a cool experience!

Do you feel like a minority?
Though are numbers may be few, our numbers are increasing every day. We are taught in our church to be a light to all.

1 Peter 2:9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praise of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light

As Disciples of Christ, we must be prepared to stand alone. We are told to live life with audacious faith. It's okay to stand out. It's okay to be different. It's okay to be a minority in a world that needs a little bit of light.

Is it true that you build temples in spots you think Jesus will be resurrected?
We believe Christ has already been resurrected because He came out of the tomb three days after He died on the cross. Then we believe He appeared to the people in the Americas and that story can be found in the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is a compilation of the writings of ancient prophets who lived in the Americas. The Bible contains the writings of the prophets who lived in the old world like Abraham and Moses. Heavenly Father thought it was important that all His children knew the path that would lead them back to his presence. In ancient times, they didn't have ways to communicate like the internet or cell phones etc so God called prophets in all parts of the world to teach His lessons. Those lessons are found in The Bible and the Book of Mormon.

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

We believe 'keys of the kingdom of heaven' is also known as the priesthood. In this verse, Jesus was giving Peter the keys of the kingdom or the priesthood. The priesthood is the power and authority to act in the name of Christ. We believe this same priesthood has been restored to our church.

'Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven' - We believe this binding and sealing power happens in our temples. For example, when we get married in the temple, it is for 'time and all eternity.' When you are married on earth, the power that the States have are only to marry you to 'death do us part.' One of the greatest teachings in our church is that we can be sealed as a family for time and all eternity and not just until death.

Do you have any dietary restrictions?
There are no restrictions per se, but we are given a lot of guidance through the word of wisdom. It teaches us to eat plenty of grains and vegetables and to eat meat sparingly. It also teaches us to avoid coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol, and other harmful drugs.

This prophesy was revealed in 1833. Remember in 1833, nobody had idea of the negative effects of any of these things. These suggestions were given to help people in our time.

How is it different from other forms of Christianity?
We believe that God is our Heavenly Father and that His son, Jesus Christ, is our Savior and that the Holy Ghost testifies of both God and Jesus.

Matthew 3:16-17
As soon as Jesus was baptized he went out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love;with him I am well pleased."

The biggest difference is that we believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are three separate beings, but one-in-purpose.

How was Mormonism started?
Joseph Smith when he was 14 was searching for a church to join. He went to many churches, but was still uncertain of which one he should go to. He decided to take the advice of James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." Joseph went to a quiet place and prayed onto God, asking Him what church to join. God visited him in his quiet place and explained to him that although the churches he visited were true in some ways, they didn't contain the full truth of the gospel. Joseph was primarily just looking to join a church, but God used him to restore his original church that was lost. 

Amos 8:11
"Behold, the days are coming," declares the Lord GOD," when I will send a famine on the land- not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD."

When Christ was on the land, He had his church.

Ephesians 4:11-16
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the foulness of Christ:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.Just like Christ had His church when He was on the land, He has His church today. It's set up in the same way to where He uses prophets and apostles has His spokesmen. (See Amos 3:7- For the Lord GOD does nothing without revealing his secrets to his servants the prophets.)
Through the Prophet Joseph Smith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was restored.

Can non-Mormons go into a Mormon church?
Oh my goose! Of course! Our sign in front our church actually says 'Visitors Welcome." We love and welcome all. We are taught as follower of Christ to love one another as Jesus loves us. For we love, because He loved us first.

Mosiah 4:15
But ye will teach them to walk in the way of the truth...ye will teach them to love one another and to serve one another.

I fully believe we are all put on this earth to help one another and to become brothers and sisters with all that we come in contact with. We were not put on this earth to walk it alone. We were meant to create friendships with others; Mormon or not. The Lord wants us to become friends with different religions, genders, cultures, etc. We were put on this earth to love.

Do you believe in ghosts?
It's a personal preference. Though bodies are in the grave, spirits still live in heaven. Many people believe that the veil between the spirit world and earth is thin and that we are able to feel the presence of loved ones who have past.

Do you have saints or something like that?
Though we believe there are many great people that have done marvelous things on this earth (such as Mother Theresa), we only worship God the Father.

The first commandment says Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Mormons use the term saints to refer to the community of people who follow God. Hints the name: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Any stereotypes about Mormons? 
I think some of the biggest stereotypes are that we practice polygamy, which we already addressed- we don't, how we worship Joseph Smith, which we already addressed- we don't...Some other myths include Mormons aren't allowed to drink caffeinated beverages, all Mormons live in Utah, all Mormons are Republican, and many more. But I can sure you- my mama enjoys a nice drink of Coca-Cola, I live in Missouri, and I know plenty of Liberal Mormons. We are people just like you.

I'd like to end this post with my testimony.

I know this church is true without a shadow of a doubt. I didn't know right away, I think I might've had to learn the hard way. But the Lord has provided me nothing but blessings in my life to show me what a forgiving and merciful God He really is. I know I am of a peculiar group, but I love the chance I get to be an example to those around me. I love the people I get to meet within the church and I love the lives I get to help/work with in a daily basis. I know Joseph Smith was a true and living Prophet and that God did visit him. I know Joseph was asked to restore God's church to the earth. I know that Heavenly Father loves me and knows me by name. I know He loves all of us and that we are brothers/sisters created to lift each other in spirit. I know this because I feel it- in my mind and in my heart. I am Mormon.

I know it.

I live it.

I love it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me directly or go to https://www.mormon.org/. There are plenty of people who would love to answer any questions you have!

Comments

Popular Posts