"Grateful for where I'm at, excited about where I'm going"

Hello blog,

Long time, no see.

I apologize for my absence. You know how people tell you that senior year is crazy? Well...it's true. I think I've learned more in the course of this one year than I have in the past four years at South. I have witnessed things I have never witnessed before and have had to climb mountains I never imagined climbing. I have met people and have became close to people that I wish I became close to my freshman year. It's just all so crazy and to top it all off, tomorrow is 49 days until my last day of high school.

So let me update you on my life, shall I?

I've been meeting new friends. It was at the start of November that I realized I needed a change. Being an extrovert can be difficult at times and I realized I have trouble being alone with myself. So what do you do when you have a problem? You google what to do, duh! I found a really fascinating article called '13 Rules for Being Alone and Being Happy with it.'

https://www.riskology.co/alone/

I decided I was going to test these rules out. I put my introvert to the test, which is more difficult than you think. Some of the rules included sit in the dark room and listen to the silence, craft stuff, go on dates by yourself, pursue an impractical project, volunteer, and my absolute favorite: cherish every interaction. What better way to get to know people than over coffee (or in my case, apple cider.) Every week, I'd pray over who I should ask to coffee. I asked a new person over dms on various social media networks if they'd be interested and 9/10 times they'd say yes! Most of my new friends came from my rival school, Park Hill. I have no shame. Literally some of the best people I know now. I wish I could've met them sooner.

This project made me learn how to love myself, love my gal pals, and value my own opinion. It was a great project, but sadly had to come to a close as I learned another important lesson of valuing the people you already have. It's a hard balance, but possible with tender care.

I was crowned Courtwarming Queen. Wow...that was kinda crazy. I'm not going to lie... I have always wanted to be on court. But let me tell you a secret, it's not always as glamorous as it seems. I had to deal with a lot of high school drama over if I was deserving enough, over if I was popular enough, and by the time the second day came around, I was done with the whole court thing. I just wanted it to be over with.

Voting came along and boom-- Hailey Deeds, Courtwarming Queen! It was actually quite exciting despite the earlier events.

I think I needed this experience. It helped me realize that everyone is special and you don't need a crown or a crowd to tell you that. We are all special in our own way and you don't need a lot of people to love you; you only need a few good ones.

Umm...after a long 8 essays, 5 recommendations, and a patient wait- I got into BYU Hawaii and BYU Provo! 

Quite possibly the biggest miracle ever. I can't count how many nights I spent praying and crying to Heavenly Father about how much I needed this. And to be honest, we didn't exactly think I'd get in.

I have accepted the offer to go to BYU Provo and study Public Relations and News Media. I have been in touch with the newspaper director of The Daily Universe and I will hopefully be starting a job my freshman year on staff. I, also, have a roommate and I have started the process of planning out my room. Super exciting stuff!

At Journalism State, I got All-State! 

Whoop, whoop! I am entering one of the most amazing fields! I can't believe it. I am blessed.

There is a quote that says, "Grateful for where I'm at, excited about where I'm going." I think this could accurately describe how my life is going right now. My life is far from perfect and I deal with my own person trials...but there's a lot of good too. High School isn't always that bad.

Now it's time to cherish the last couple months of South. Boy, stay tuned on if I cry the last day.

I'm going to make these 49 days count.

Comments

Popular Posts