The Scavenger Hunt
Dear friend,
Nothing hurts more than feeling the ground beneath you quake from uncertainty and loss of faith. You can feel it in your heart as you began to slowly push away from what you've always known to be true. You become barricaded by other people's thoughts. You're going to hell. You belong to a cult. You've been believing in lies your whole life. You're not a Christian. I have never had someone openly protest against my religion. Someone who claimed to love me for me, but wanted me to change what made me, me.
His words brought me discomfort, but opened my eyes to knowing. I wanted to find the truth for myself, whether it be able to defend my beliefs or find the truth. I began my own scavenger hunt. I didn't want anyone's influence, but I received input anyway.
I opened my heart to the new possibilities. I had an overwhelming feeling to recommend having a book study with my dear friend. I called up as many of my friends as I could so both my friend and I could go into the study with open hearts. I was willing to learn. I brought the Book of Mormon. He brought World Religions and Cults. However, I read the book anyway; unfazed by the words of hate it provided.
I was always taught to respect other's beliefs. Religion is special; personal to every single individual. Religion provides people with hope. Whether it be Muslim, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, or etc., everyone has their own unique way of believing.
"You can have the same faith as someone, but different religions." M.D.
M.D. put my whole situation into perspective. She explained that she was a lot like me with faith; feeling with her heart. Feeling God's presence with every will of her being. She explained that not everyone is like that; that some feel with only their brain. To her, God is much more than facts, but also love and understanding. You'd be surprised to know M.D. is my Spanish teacher.
She told me I needed to stand up for my beliefs. To remember who I was and not be influenced by other's definition of a 'perfect religion.' You can't change a person- you can only love. Love is respectful and encouraging. They don't put you down for what you believe is right. They try to understand.
"A friend should support you even if they don't believe the same things as you." T.C.
"Elder Hales taught "1. A good friend is a good companion. A good friend will never have you choose between their way and the Lord's way. 2. With a true friend it will be easier to live the laws, ordinances, and covenants [of the gospel.] Such a person is truly a good friend and eternal companion." T.C.
I decided it was time to take my scavenger hunt to the next level. I went to the library and brought home books of all sorts. Catholics, Dictionary of Religions, Why not to Believe in a God, Sins and Salvation Found in God, Defending your Faith, and etc.
I learned that everyone has their own way of teaching their gospel.
I am a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings...I am according to the Oxford Dictionary, a definition of a Christian. Although Mormonism didn't break off from Protestant or Catholics, we still believe Christ to be our Redeemer.
But I agree, there is much more to being Christian.
A God who loves us unconditionally would not send 75% of the world to 'Hell,' just because they don't meet the world's standards of a Christian. To me, God loves all denominations. I have went to other churches to find the truth and I found truths in all.
I have felt God's presence in my life. I have been through things that have made my faith different than others. I feel God with my heart, and I know him to love me. I was searching so hard for love, that I forgot the love right in front of me. My Heavenly Father.
I strive every day to follow His commandments and I'm not saying I'm perfect- but I try to be better than I was the day before.
God loves all.
I am Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.
I am Christian. I know it. I live it. I love it.
We can agree to disagree, but God loves you. And he loves all. He loves me. He loves Hailey Deeds the Mormon girl with the grace heart.
I still continue my search for more answers to questions I have, but these are my findings for now and I respect if you think differently than me. Faith should never be stripped from anyone.
At the end of the day we all come from the same place, same God, same one. Give grace upon grace to your sisters and brothers. I love thee.
Love,
Hailey Deeds
PYT
Nothing hurts more than feeling the ground beneath you quake from uncertainty and loss of faith. You can feel it in your heart as you began to slowly push away from what you've always known to be true. You become barricaded by other people's thoughts. You're going to hell. You belong to a cult. You've been believing in lies your whole life. You're not a Christian. I have never had someone openly protest against my religion. Someone who claimed to love me for me, but wanted me to change what made me, me.
His words brought me discomfort, but opened my eyes to knowing. I wanted to find the truth for myself, whether it be able to defend my beliefs or find the truth. I began my own scavenger hunt. I didn't want anyone's influence, but I received input anyway.
I opened my heart to the new possibilities. I had an overwhelming feeling to recommend having a book study with my dear friend. I called up as many of my friends as I could so both my friend and I could go into the study with open hearts. I was willing to learn. I brought the Book of Mormon. He brought World Religions and Cults. However, I read the book anyway; unfazed by the words of hate it provided.
I was always taught to respect other's beliefs. Religion is special; personal to every single individual. Religion provides people with hope. Whether it be Muslim, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, or etc., everyone has their own unique way of believing.
"You can have the same faith as someone, but different religions." M.D.
M.D. put my whole situation into perspective. She explained that she was a lot like me with faith; feeling with her heart. Feeling God's presence with every will of her being. She explained that not everyone is like that; that some feel with only their brain. To her, God is much more than facts, but also love and understanding. You'd be surprised to know M.D. is my Spanish teacher.
She told me I needed to stand up for my beliefs. To remember who I was and not be influenced by other's definition of a 'perfect religion.' You can't change a person- you can only love. Love is respectful and encouraging. They don't put you down for what you believe is right. They try to understand.
"A friend should support you even if they don't believe the same things as you." T.C.
"Elder Hales taught "1. A good friend is a good companion. A good friend will never have you choose between their way and the Lord's way. 2. With a true friend it will be easier to live the laws, ordinances, and covenants [of the gospel.] Such a person is truly a good friend and eternal companion." T.C.
I decided it was time to take my scavenger hunt to the next level. I went to the library and brought home books of all sorts. Catholics, Dictionary of Religions, Why not to Believe in a God, Sins and Salvation Found in God, Defending your Faith, and etc.
I learned that everyone has their own way of teaching their gospel.
- The teachings of God
- Proving the Bible to be truth
- History (How my dear friend taught me)
I realized that my dear friend was only telling me reasons why I shouldn't believe in my church. Never once did he tell me why I should believe in his.
I read articles that claimed me to be a sinner of the devil and ended their research with, "Of course, we do not hate the Mormons, and we pray for their repentance that they would stop believing in false gods. But, Mormonism is not Christian."
I then asked the question, "what is the definition of Christian?"
But I agree, there is much more to being Christian.
|
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/revangelical/2014/09/06/what-makes-someone-a-christian.html
|
A God who loves us unconditionally would not send 75% of the world to 'Hell,' just because they don't meet the world's standards of a Christian. To me, God loves all denominations. I have went to other churches to find the truth and I found truths in all.
I have felt God's presence in my life. I have been through things that have made my faith different than others. I feel God with my heart, and I know him to love me. I was searching so hard for love, that I forgot the love right in front of me. My Heavenly Father.
I strive every day to follow His commandments and I'm not saying I'm perfect- but I try to be better than I was the day before.
![]() |
| The LDS Articles of Faith |
God loves all.
I am Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.
I am Christian. I know it. I live it. I love it.
We can agree to disagree, but God loves you. And he loves all. He loves me. He loves Hailey Deeds the Mormon girl with the grace heart.
I still continue my search for more answers to questions I have, but these are my findings for now and I respect if you think differently than me. Faith should never be stripped from anyone.
At the end of the day we all come from the same place, same God, same one. Give grace upon grace to your sisters and brothers. I love thee.
Love,
Hailey Deeds
PYT


Comments
Post a Comment